Delray Beach promenade renovation to begin on April 3
As part of the Beach Master Plan, the Delray Beach Promenade renovation will commence on April
3. Construction will begin at the north end of the promenade. Project construction is expected to take five months, with minor revisions and corrections occurring during the sixth month. Our municipal beach will remain open during this time.
During this process, our aim is to reduce and minimize inconveniences by keeping our residents, guests, business owners, and beach-goers informed as much as possible. Signs will be installed along the beachfront within the next 3-5 business days notifying the public of the construction.
Below is the expected construction schedule for the first month, through May 2017:
- Beginning on April 3, MBR Construction, will establish the initial construction zone at the northern end of the Beach Promenade. The initial construction will be replacement of the existing concrete sidewalk east of the knee wall beginning at the northern extent of the Beach Promenade and working toward the south. This will continue through April 16. This will prevent any interruption to the annual Easter Sunrise Service that is commonly held at the Beach Pavilion located at Atlantic Avenue and Ocean Boulevard on Easter Sunday, which falls on April 16 this year.
- Between April 16 and April 30, the contractor will finish work on the sidewalk east of the knee wall at the north end of the Beach Promenade and begin to transition to the southern extent of the project near Casuarina Road.
- On May 1, the contractor will establish a construction zone at the southern extent of the project near Casuarina Road. During this phase of construction, on-street parking along the beach will not be available from Casuarina Road to the Sandoway parking lot. Parking will be available in the Sandoway parking lot, where new smart meters have been installed.
As construction mobilizes on the Promenade, certain on-street parking spaces along the beach will become unavailable. However, we will make every effort to make parking alternatives accessible whenever possible. Parking in all public parking lots along the beach, including the Sandoway lot, will continue to be available and trolleys will add stops at the parking garages and additional stops along the beach to accommodate beach-goers. A third trolley may be added to the route to ensure that wait times do not increase unduly.
Bicyclists will be able to use the bicycle lane, but we urge extra caution in this area. The bicycle lane on Ocean Boulevard will be narrowed with barriers to protect the general public from the construction activities.
- For questions concerning parking during construction, please contact Jorge Alarcon at (561) 243-7000 ext. 4112.
- For the trolley service, please contact Xavier Falconi at (561) 243-7000 ext. 4113.
- For general questions concerning the construction of the Beach Master Plan, please contact Isaac Kovner at (561) 243-7000 ext. 4119.
Stay informed with up-to-date information by visiting the Beach Master Plan web page.